Apina Nadja has fulfilled her potential. One of the most influential cows in CRV’s breeding programme has high breeding values for health, fertility and longevity. And she also passes these traits on to her countless offspring. Apina Nadja has never caused any problems for owners Wim and Theo Bleser. She has now put the crown on her illustrious career by realising lifetime production of 100,000kg of milk.
- Statistics addicts can feast their eyes on these tables: they present the actual production figures of the most important and most popular bulls. A lower limit of at least 75 milk records per lactation applies.
- The NVI is the total merit index that reflects the breeding goals of Dutch and Flemish dairy farmers. But there are also farmers who prefer to select bulls based on one of the total American indexes TPI or NM$. Specialist Jaap Brinkman explains the differences between the American and Dutch breeding values.
- Inbreeding is a threat to the vitality of a cow population but is always waiting in the wings in a breeding programme. CRV closely monitors the development of the rate of inbreeding in various breeds. Vigilance is vital, but so far, any negative effects have been limited.
- CRV introduced the feed efficiency breeding value in December. Willem Alders has been conducting feed trials for CRV for several years. He sees huge differences, also between similar cows.
- The lifetime production of Dutch dairy cows jumped to record levels in the 2019-2020 financial year. The average lifetime production realised by the cows has increased by almost 2500kg of milk and 200kg of fat and protein to 34,000kg of milk, 1481kg of fat and 1210kg of protein. The lifetime production of Dutch dairy cows has never been so high.